Sunday, January 9, 2011

Got You in My Sights.

I heard a lot of rhetoric yesterday, and as usual, find myself unsatisfied with either end of the argument spectrum.  Here are my thoughts, if you care. If you don't, I won't hold it against you if you don't read it.


My fellow liberals: the guy who shot the congresswoman was crazy. From what I've seen of his digital footprint, he was seriously mentally disturbed. Sarah Palin didn't convince him to fire those shots. He did it because he was crazy.


In the next couple of days, the media's going to be frantically searching for reasons why he did what he did. Just like with the Columbine massacre, they're going to keep digging until they find something they can use to desperately assign meaning to an inherently meaningless act. Since the target was a politician, a lot of them will stop when they see Sarah Palin's cross-hair graphic.   But liberals, if we say that Sarah Palin is somehow culpable in this tragedy, we are also saying that Marilyn Manson and Doom are somehow culpable for Columbine. We know better than this. It's tempting, I know, to hang this on Palin, because it gives us a reason for this tragedy, and a reason that makes someone we dislike look bad.  But the uncomfortable truth is there are no reasons. Dude was crazy. It's terrible, but there you go.


Now, my lovely conservatives (I still have some conservative friends, right?): it is beyond tacky for Sarah Palin to take down her cross-hairs graphic, and to post on Facebook "our hearts and prayers are with the family of congresswoman Giffords."  Because here's the translation of that statement:


"All of last year, when I was using an extended gun metaphor to appeal to my gun-totin' constituents, when I was 'reloading' and 'takin' aim' and 'putting them in the cross-hairs' and 'firing a salvo,' and 'keepin' in my sights,' I never meant someone should actually go out and shoot them!  All I did was call them enemies of liberty, traitors, communists, terrorists, people out to destroy our country, and then suggested we take them out!"


Now, keep in mind what I said to my liberal friends: Sarah Palin isn't responsible for anyone getting shot. But it'd be awfully nice if, now that we're living in a world where someone actually did literally put someone in the cross-hairs and take her out, that we'd stop talking about it metaphorically. That maybe we'd start talking about our political opponents not as frothing demons but as people who, just like us, want the best for our country, but disagree on what that best is. Maybe we could stop talking about politics like it's a combat zone, and talk about it like a partnership.


The war isn't liberal versus conservative or Republican versus Democrat. It's the sane versus the disturbed, the good-hearted versus the violent, the sensible versus the senseles. Yesterday, there were twelve casualties. So let's stop fighting in the ranks, okay?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the silicon chip inside her head gets switched to overload
And nobody's gonna go to school today
She's going to make them stay at home
Her daddy doesn't understand it
He always said she was good as gold
And he can see no reasons 'cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be shown?

Anonymous said...

I don't think this guy really had a political motive at all. If you read what he posted on YouTube, he is back and forth politically, and the writing is straight-up "Time Cube" style crazy.

At the same time, I don't think it's "tacky" for Palin to retract her graphics. It's what any politician - left or right - would do if the metaphor they'd been campaigning upon was suddenly marred by an unrelated tragedy.

Deborah said...

Son, that is the best, most sane thing I've read in a long time! I seriously think you should send it to all editorial outlets of media all over the country! Good thinking....(and this isn't because I'm your mother...many things you write I disapprove :P ).