Saturday, January 1, 2011

All Is Quiet On New Year's Day.

As the clock struck midnight, I didn't review the last year in my head like I thought I would. Instead, it occurred to me that this is the tenth anniversary of the start of what I will now think of forever as My Last Shitty Year.

2001: the last year I spent single, lonely, miserable, bouncing from terrible job to terrible job, always broke, always starving for affection.  It began with the second half of my ridiculous attempt to make a living and/or become a rock star in Los Angeles.  I lived in a studio apartment with my cat,  had a fifteen-mile, hour-long commute to a boring dead-end job, and spent most evenings drinking alone at a karaoke bar, hoping my brooding would attract women. It didn't work.

So it was back to Phoenix, living with my parents again for a few months, a couple of temp jobs, another ghetto apartment. At least my attempt at selling cars for a living got cut short after 9/11 and a crisis of conscience, but quitting the salesman gig left me more broke than ever.

The end of 2001 was self-loathing and cigarettes, a couple of good friends trying to keep me sane, feeling somehow stuck and freefalling at the same time.

It's good to remember now, when the ceiling leaks in my awesome house, or I fight with my beautiful, wonderful wife, or my amazing child is being difficult, that there was an interminable amount of time where I was simply miserable with no hope of improvement. Before Jess began my life and saved my soul, before Kingdom of Loathing gave me a most improbable career, before I had a future, there was a vast, featureless expanse of gray. When I began 2001, I had no idea it'd be the Last Shitty Year.

Wonder what 2011's got?

2 comments:

DV said...

Yay good years! :)

ChoirTour2012 said...

Here's to good years! Just have to say though, that even in the gray, you have always had a family who loves and believes in you! Still do! And we are happy for you and the wife and kiddo too!